Wednesday - March 21, 2012

Topic: Plant Identification, Trees
Title: Identification of tree blooming in Austin with yellow balls

QUESTION:

What is the tree/large shrub that is blooming now (mid-March) in the Austin area? It has small mesquite-type leaves, round yellow balls with fuzz on them and is fragrant. Thanks!

ANSWER:

Someone else has just asked a similar question.  The answer is that probably you are seeing Acacia farnesiana (Huisache).  You can read a more in-depth answer to this question and see other (less likely) possibilities for the identity of the tree/large shrub.