Mr. Smarty Plants - Wildflower Center work on non-native, invasive Bastard Cabbage from Austin

Thursday - March 20, 2014

Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Wildflower Center work on non-native, invasive Bastard Cabbage from Austin

QUESTION:

Still have cabbage weeds that infiltrated Austin awhile back. How did Wildflower Center resolve it?

ANSWER:

Sadly, matters like invasive Rapistrum rugosum (Bastard Cabbage) seldom actually get "resolved" even by the stout-hearted gardeners at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. That doesn't mean they have given up nor that they are not continuing control measures.

From our How To Articles, please read Addressing Texas Invasive Plants.

For everyone concerned about these invasions, the word is there is no easy solution. This will take the attention, dedication and HARD WORK for all of us to even reduce the spread of this monster.

Lessons to take away:

If it is not native to your area, don't plant it.

If you have a seed "mix" not from a reputable native plant supplier, don't plant it.

If you see it growing, any size, anywhere, don't leave it there.

If anyone admires those yellow flowers on the hillside, tell them what it is.

And repeat Steps 1 through 4 above to anyone who asks. That's what we do.