Mr. Smarty Plants - Invasiveness of non-native gooseneck yellow loosetrife in Maine

Thursday - May 12, 2005

From: Belfast, ME
Title: Invasiveness of non-native gooseneck yellow loosetrife in Maine
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

I live in Maine, and purple loosestrife is invading our habitat. It outcompetes native species. Does gooseneck loosestrife have the same damaging qualities?

ANSWER:

According to USDA Plants, gooseneck yellow loosestrife (Lysimachia clethroides Duby) is an ornamental perennial from Asia and is introduced to the Continental US. According to this source, this species does not appear to be currently listed as an invasive or noxious weed. That said, absence of information about invasiveness is not proof that it is not or won't become invasive. In some cases invasive ability is shared by related species or genera. However, relatedness among species or genera is not a good predictor alone.