Monday - September 07, 2009

From: Orlando, FL
Title: Fertilizer burns on non-native St. Augustine grass

We put summer guard fertilizer on our lush St. Augustine grass and it didn't get watered in after application. As a result we have burned the yard badly in patches. What can we do to correct problem? We have had plenty of rain since application. Not showing much of a recovery. Thank you

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the care, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. Stenotaphrum secundatum (St. Augustine grass) is native to the Caribbean and Western Africa and therefore is out of our range of expertise. You probably don't need us to tell you to always follow the instructions on any product used in the garden, and we can't tell you if the grass will recover.