Thursday - February 06, 2014

Topic: Plant Lists, Rainwater Harvesting, Rain Gardens
Title: Rain garden plants for Central Texas

QUESTION:

Do you have a list of rain garden plants for Central Texas?

ANSWER:

Because of our persistent drought, the City of Austin is promoting the utilization of rain gardens.  There are several web sites relating to this, including the following and this one as well.

Further information regarding care and propagation of any of the species listed can be found at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Plant Database,  

If your rain garden will feature a pond or permanent wetland, I suggest that you consult this recent list of wetland plant species suitable for the Austin area.

I sincerely hope that your interest and preparations will be rewarded with frequent refreshing rains.