Mr. Smarty Plants - Information about rainwater collection systems

Tuesday - November 25, 2008

From: Waco, TX
Topic: Best of Smarty, Rainwater Harvesting
Title: Information about rainwater collection systems

QUESTION:

I am wanting to design and install a rainwater collection system, and would like recommendations on suppliers, how to operate, detailed info on construction, capacity and pumping. Any info you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks.

ANSWER:

First, for a general overview of rainwater collections systems, let me refer you to our How to Article, "Rainwater Harvesting".

The Texas Water Development Board has an excellent online publication. "The Texas Manual on Rainwater Harvesting", with information about rainwater harvesting system components, water quality and treatment, cost estimation and financial incentives.  From the manual:  "The scope of this manual is to serve as a primer in the basics of residential and small-scale commercial rainwater harvesting systems design."

For an easy-to-read book filled with useful, practical information about rainwater collection and constructing collection systems in the Hill Country of Texas, find a copy of Rainwater Collection for the Mechanically Challenged by Suzy Banks with Richard Heinichen.

The City of Austin also has a Rainwater Harvesting article in their online publication, "Sustainable Building Sourcebook" and also have links to other information, including "Rainwater Harvesting Suppliers" on their Water Conservation page.