Mr. Smarty Plants - Instructions on rainwater harvesting

Saturday - December 09, 2006

Topic: Rainwater Harvesting
Title: Instructions on rainwater harvesting
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

Do you have any information on the construction of domestic rain fall catch tanks and water distribution systems? We are currently in a drought-stricken area of Texas and are very interested in constructing a system using available materials. I searched your site and found only a brief description of your system. Have you had any classes on such a topic? Thanks.

ANSWER:

First, our article, Rainwater Harvesting, in the Native Plants Library offers general guidelines for planning a rainwater collection system. For small scale collection, the City of Austin has more specific information on rainwater harvesting using 75 gallon polypropylene plastic rain barrels. For larger projects you can download the The Texas Manual on Rainwater Harvesting with a wealth of technical information from the Texas Water Development Board. For an easy-to-read book filled with useful, practical information about rainwater collection and constructing collection systems in the Hill Country of Texas, find a copy of Rainwater Collection for the Mechanically Challenged by Suzy Banks with Richard Heinichen. Mr. Heinichen has taught several classes on rainwater collection at the Wildflower Center in the past, although none are currently scheduled.