Wednesday - March 18, 2009

From: Dothan, AL
Topic: Invasive Plants, Problem Plants
Title: Elimination of Whitemouth dayflower in Dothan AL

QUESTION:

I am infested with Widow's Tears in my yard. I would like to get rid of them. Can you tell me how?

ANSWER:

While all the references we saw said this was a lovely little flower nice for naturalizing in masses with early spring bloom, the same references admitted it could be invasive, which you already know. Unfortunately, we have no unique new ideas on how to get rid of Commelina erecta (whitemouth dayflower). It is mostly still a matter of pulling it out. Compounding the problem is that it has tubers in its root system, which makes it more difficult to eliminate the plant. And it's hard to get hold of, because, in spite of its name, it grows upright only if supported by other plants. Some sources said a hard freeze would kill the plant, but you're not likely to have a freeze that severe in Alabama. Also, in moderate climates like yours, what is usually an annual plant becomes a perennial. See this website Garden Bits Spiderwort to get another perspective.

Commelina erecta

Commelina erecta

Commelina erecta

Commelina erecta