Wednesday - April 30, 2008

From: Harlingen, TX
Title: Bluebonnets to bloom in September in Harlingen, TX

QUESTION:

How can I get bluebonnets to bloom in the first week of September? I need them for my daughter's wedding! We live in Harlingen. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Sorry, bluebonnets, Lupinus texensis (Texas bluebonnet), are winter annuals. They are seeded in the Fall, begin to put up their first rosettes in January, and start blooming in early March. There really is no way of fooling a seed into believing it's cold, then raining, then warm enough to emerge and bloom in Spring. September in Harlingen is not going to feel like Spring. We suggest you talk to your florist about possible potted plants or cut flowers in the colors you need; we doubt they will have any source for potted, blooming bluebonnets.