Saturday - September 19, 2015

From: Argyle, TX
Topic: Seeds and Seeding, Wildflowers
Title: Seedball Germination in Dallas
Answered by: Larry Larson

QUESTION:

I read your answer to the question posed about wildflower seed balls not germinating along a bike trail in Dallas. My garden club is also wanting to purchase seeds to create and scatter seed balls. I couldn't tell from your answer to the previous group, when is the best time to scatter wildflower seed balls in the Dallas area?

ANSWER:

I assume you are referring to this question/answer:    Seedball Germination in Dallas, TX

To be real explicit, the best time to scatter seeds of any kind is the same time as the wildflowers distribute them.  This is generally always late Spring to Summer, but pretty much anytime up to winter ought to do.

That said – I was a bit less than direct because successful germination depends on much more than simply when the seeds are distributed.  Germination will be the best with good loose soil, a nice wet winter into spring, maybe with a freeze, and then a good sunny warm spring.  If we don’t get this, then germination will be lower, but the seeds will still be there, waiting for “next year” as it were!

Huisache daisy
Amblyolepis setigera

Butterflyweed

Winecup
Callirhoe digitata

Plains coreopsis
Coreopsis tinctoria