Sunday - April 20, 2008

Topic: Seasonal Tasks, Seeds and Seeding, Wildflowers
Title: Planting bluebonnets

QUESTION:

How long do bluebonnet seeds take to mature, and when is the earliest in their development they can be harvested? When can they be scattered?

ANSWER:

Happily, people who know more about this than Mr. Smarty Plants have written an How-To article on How to Grow Bluebonnets. We have refreshed our memory by re-reading it, and believe it answers all your questions. However, for more information on the subject, we suggest you read How to Grow Bluebonnets: Rhizobium FAQs and How to Grow Bluebonnets:Scarification FAQs.

Big bend bluebonnet
Lupinus havardii

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Sundial lupine
Lupinus perennis

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus subcarnosus