Suppport the plant database you love!

Saturday - February 28, 2015

From: austin, TX
Topic: Pruning, Seasonal Tasks, Shrubs
Title: Need to control Turk's cap in front yard in Austin, TX

QUESTION:

I have several turks cap in my front yard- they grow well, but they grown huge-high and spread out. My neighbors' are much more compact! how can I keep them in control?

ANSWER:

Its called pruning.

Turk’s cap Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii (Turk's cap or turkscap)is a spreading shrub, often as broad as high, grows 2-3 ft., sometimes reaching 9 ft., so some amount of control is in order. This previous answer   will give you some ideas about Turk’s cap, and this link to Purdue University  Cooperative Extension  can answer most of your questions about pruning in general.

You might also want to chat with your neighbors.