Suppport the plant database you love!

Topic: Non-Natives, Cacti and Succulents
Title: Questions about hollyhocks and yucca

QUESTION:

I have 2 questions. In Western N.Y. State the hollyhocks grow like weeds but add color with their large stalks. I've sent for seeds and the best I can do in N.W.Travis county is 9 inch plants that die. Is it possible to grow them here? Love the individual white blooming yucca. They grow wild and are used for yard plants. I would like one but don't seem to find them at plant stores. Any ideas? Richard Troiano

ANSWER:

First of all, hollyhock (Alcea rosea) is not native to North America; and, since the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the preservation, conservation and promotion of the use of plants in their native North American habitats, we are the wrong organization to ask about care of hollyhocks.  I suggest you address your question about hollyhocks to one of the gardening forums such GardenWeb.

As for the yucca, you may be referring to the one native to the Austin area Yucca rupicola (Twistleaf yucca).  You can look for native plant suppliers in our National Suppliers Directory by typing your city into the "Enter Search Location" slot. 

Twistleaf yucca
Yucca rupicola

Twistleaf yucca
Yucca rupicola

Twistleaf yucca
Yucca rupicola