Wednesday - March 02, 2016

From: Mesquite, TX
Topic: Seeds and Seeding, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Are Bluebonnet seeds still viable after storage for a year?

QUESTION:

I bought a pouch of Bluebonnets a year ago and now found them and have to wait to Fall to plant. Too old? Start over in purchase?

ANSWER:

Lupinus texensis (Texas bluebonnet) seed are viable for several years if kept in a dry place at room temperature or, better, in the refrigerator.  

Before planting the seed they should be treated to allow water to enter through the hard outer coat.  As stated in our Bluebonnet description "Scarification will hasten germination. Put seeds in the freezer overnight and then douse with boiling water to crack seedcoats. Soaking seeds overnight is also effective. Drain water, add rhizobium, and plant."

Additional tips for planting Bluebonnets can be found at this web site.