Friday - November 27, 2015

From: Edison, NJ
Topic: Pollinators, Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs, Wildflowers
Title: What is blooming in NJ in Late November?

QUESTION:

I am a beekeeper in Edison, NJ. My bees are still bringing pollen even this late in the season (Thanksgiving). What plants or trees are still blooming? The color of the pollen is a pale yellow.

ANSWER:

There are quite a few New Jersey native plants in the Native Plant Database that might be potential pollen plants for your foraging bees. A search of New Jersey plants that bloom in November and December will produce about 100 plants. If there hasn't been an early frost in your area, there will be lots of late blooming perennial blooms for bees to visit. Some of these are pictured below.

For additional information about increasing native bee pollination in New Jersey, Bryn Mawr College and Rutgers University have produced an online article "Native Bee Benefits" that discusses plants, bee species and more.

Horseweed
Conyza canadensis

Blue mistflower
Conoclinium coelestinum

Lateflowering thoroughwort
Eupatorium serotinum

Maximilian sunflower
Helianthus maximiliani

Prairie blazing star
Liatris pycnostachya

Switchgrass
Panicum virgatum

Little bluestem

Tall goldenrod
Solidago altissima

Marsh ladies'-tresses
Spiranthes odorata

Willowleaf aster
Symphyotrichum praealtum

Purpletop tridens
Tridens flavus