Tuesday - June 16, 2015

From: New Braunfels, TX
Title: Driveway through a cluster of Oak trees

QUESTION:

Construction of a cement driveway through an 8 tree cluster of escarpment oaks is going to require removal of 2 trees in the center. How can this be done without causing damage to remaining trees? Also, is a gravel drive recommended through the base of the trees versus cement?

ANSWER:

The quick answer is “Very carefully”. Seriously, you are going to need to consult a  certified  arborist to guide you through the removal process.

A cement drive is not going to benefit the remaining trees, so some kind of permeable cover should be installed.to make sure that the roots receive the moisture they need. Here are four links that describe various options that are available

motherearth news.com

permeable pavement

scgh.com

paversearch.com