Wednesday - October 15, 2014

From: Riverside, CA
Title: Plants to grow under pine trees in Riverside, CA

QUESTION:

Please tell me what plants would do well under pine trees in somewhat moist soil in Riverside, Ca. Also, I would prefer perennials that are easy to weed. (I currently have violets which are overrun with impossible grass-like weeds.) thank you!

ANSWER:

Plants that grow under pine trees have to tolerate acidic soils.  The following plants grow in Riverside County in damp soil and should do very well in the acidic soil.

Aquilegia formosa (Western columbine)

Adiantum capillus-veneris (Southern maidenhair fern)

Claytonia perfoliata (Miner's lettuce)

Mimulus cardinalis (Crimson monkey-flower)

Mimulus guttatus (Yellow monkeyflower)

Mimulus primuloides (Primrose monkey-flower)

Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal flower)

Fragaria vesca (Woodland strawberry)

These plants are all perennials but I can't guarantee that they will be easy to weed.   The best strategy for keeping the weeds out of the plants you want is to be diligent and persistent about removing them.

Western columbine
Aquilegia formosa

Southern maidenhair fern
Adiantum capillus-veneris

Miner's lettuce
Claytonia perfoliata

Scarlet monkeyflower
Mimulus cardinalis

Yellow monkeyflower
Mimulus guttatus

Primrose monkeyflower
Mimulus primuloides

Woodland strawberry
Fragaria vesca