Sunday - March 20, 2016

From: Arlington, TX
Topic: Shade Tolerant, Turf, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: How much shade will Thunder Turf (Habiturf) take?

QUESTION:

How much shade will Thunder Turf take?

ANSWER:

Not much!  Thunderturf, or Habiturf, as it is also called, needs a minimum of six hours of direct light to grow well. It will grow somewhat sparsely if given strong indirect light below a high tree canopy.  We know of no native turf grass that thrives in shade.  You would be well advised to consider a non-grass ground cover in shady areas.  Paspalum setaceum (Thin paspalum) is a bunch grass that is common in Central Texas and should occur in shady areas of Arlington.  Its compact roseate form is mowable, but some find the 12-15 inch-high seed stalks unattractive.  Grass-like sedges do grow well in shade.

Here are several groundcovers that will grow in the shade.  Except for the two grasses, they are semi-evergreen or evergreen.

Calyptocarpus vialis (Straggler daisy) is evergreen to semi-evergreen. "Evergreen in areas with mild or no winter, deciduous in areas with cold winters."

Phyla nodiflora (Texas frogfruit) is semi-evergreen.

Packera obovata (Golden groundsel) is evergreen to semi-evergreen.

Carex planostachys (Cedar sedge) is evergreen.

Carex texensis (Texas sedge) is evergreen.

Salvia lyrata (Lyreleaf sage) is semi-evergreen.

Ruellia humilis (Fringeleaf wild petunia) is evergreen.

Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland sea oats) dies back in winter but is perennial.  This grass grows in clumps and can reach 2 feet or more, but is very attractive.

Muhlenbergia schreberi (Nimblewill) dies back in winter but is perennial.

If you decide to go with Thunderturf (Habiturf), check out this how-to article (https://www.wildflower.org/habiturf/) on our website.

Texas frogfruit
Phyla nodiflora

Texas frogfruit
Phyla nodiflora

Golden groundsel
Packera obovata

Golden groundsel
Packera obovata

Lyreleaf sage
Salvia lyrata

Texas sedge
Carex texensis

Prairie petunia
Ruellia humilis