Saturday - July 27, 2013

From: Victoria, TX
Topic: Propagation, Vines
Title: Mistake in propagation of Mustang grapes from Victoria TX

QUESTION:

I didn't read first! I planted dried mustang grape seeds in good potting soil, watered and put on tall clear plastic bags to retain moisture, will they ever come up? Should I get the seed out and refrigate? Is all lost? Please help. I live at Victoria, Texas. Thank you.

ANSWER:

This USDA Plant Profile Map does not indicate that Vitis mustangensis (Mustang grape) grows naturally in Victoria County, though it does grow in counties around it.  Here are its growing conditions from our webpage on the plant:

"Growing Conditions

Water Use: Medium
Light Requirement: Part Shade
Soil Moisture: Dry
Soil Description: Limestone-based, Clay, Clay Loam, Medium Loam, Sandy Loam, Sandy"

You might want to check with the Texas A&M AgriLIFE Extension Office for Victoria County to make sure you have the appropriate soils for this plant.

We have several previous answers to questions on propagating Mustang grapes. Read them first:

Previous question - March 20, 2005

June 15, 2006

July 14, 2004

Or, from eHelpful Tips, How to Grow Mustang Grapes

In none of those did we see dried seed or plastic bags mentioned. Frankly, we would skip that and start over with fresh seeds or root cuttings in the Fall, as suggested.

Mustang grape
Vitis mustangensis

Mustang grape
Vitis mustangensis

Mustang grape
Vitis mustangensis