En EspaÑol

Thursday - November 04, 2010

From: San Antonio, TX
Title: Growing Big Red Sage from Seed in San Antonio
Answered by: Mike Tomme

QUESTION:

I harvested some seed this year from my Big Red Salvia (Salvia penstemonoides). I have searched multiple sites looking for information on growing this wonderful salvia but cannot locate any information on seed preparation (if required) and best time to sow the seeds. Can you answer this question for me please?

ANSWER:

Salvia penstemonoides (Big red sage), aka big red Salvia is grown easily from seed or it can be propagated by root division or from cuttings. No special seed preparation is necessary. Fall is the best time to plant for spring blooms.

If you want to get your plants started in seed starting containers, here is a link that tells you how to do that: How to germinate salvia seeds. Also, here is a link with some general advice about growing SalviaGrowing Salvia.

Finally, here is a link to a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer about growing big red sage.

Get ready for the hummingbirds, they're going to love it around your place.

Salvia penstemonoides

Salvia penstemonoides