Mr. Smarty Plants - Resources for a green roof project from Wayne PA

Sunday - April 14, 2013

From: Wayne, PA
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Green Roofs, Grasses or Grass-like, Wildflowers
Title: Resources for a green roof project from Wayne PA

QUESTION:

Hello! I am researching a project to create a native wildflower/ turf mix for a green roof. I would ideally like to grow it as a sod mat, and then install it in rolls. I am currently working as an intern for Chanticleer Gardens in Wayne, PA. Do you know of anyone who grows such a product in the US, or would you have any suggestions for local resources?

ANSWER:

Please read this Previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer which directs you to the information we have on green roofs. When you begin to look for plants, you can go to our Recommended Species, click on the map of Pennsylvania, where you will get a list of 135 plants native to Pennsylvania. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, recommends only plants native not only to North America but also to the area in which those plants will be grown.

In addition to the list of suppliers on greenroofs.org, you can go to our National Suppliers Directory, place your town and state or just your zipcode in the Enter Search Location box and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers and consultants in your general area. All have contact information so you can find our where they are and whether they have what you need before you start out.

Best of luck on your project!