En Espa—ol

Sunday - December 16, 2012

From: San Marcos, TX
Topic: Propagation, Seeds and Seeding, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Propagation of Chandler's craglily from San Marcos TX

QUESTION:

Can you please advise me on collecting and propagating seed from Chandlerís craglily -Echeandia chandleri. I have 2 plants that came from the wildflower center. They never seem to multiply, but they do have seed capsules. Thanks

ANSWER:

If you follow this link, Echeandia chandleri (Chandler's craglily), to our webpage on this plant, you will see we have very little information on it. However, we scratched around and found some in other references.

Rare Plants of Texas

From Dave's Garden:

"Propagation Methods:
By dividing rhizomes, tubers, corms or bulbs (including offsets)

Seed Collecting:
Allow pods to dry on plant; break open to collect seeds
Properly cleaned, seed can be successfully stored
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible"

The only possible problem we can see in propagating this plant in Hays County is that this USDA Plant Profile Map only shows it growing natively in Nueces, Kleberg and Cameron Counties, on the southern tip of Texas. Temperatures and rainfall should be close, but there might be a soil problem. If you have seeds, though, it's at least worth a try.

Chandler's craglily
Echeandia chandleri

Texas craglily
Echeandia texensis