En EspaÑol

Monday - July 21, 2014

From: Terlingua, TX
Topic: Seeds and Seeding, Wildflowers
Title: Preparation of seeds of Cosmos parviflorus for planting

QUESTION:

This is in regards to Cosmos Parviflorus. I reside directly outside of Big Bend National Park in Terlingua, TX. Cosmos Parviflorus grows naturally here and I have collected some seeds from a couple of them. Do you have any information on whether the seeds require a period of stratification or scarification? Thank you

ANSWER:

Cosmos parviflorus (Southwestern cosmos) is a beautiful plant.  I found two commercial seed companies that carry the seeds, B & T World Seeds and Western Native Seed and a gardening blog, Auntie Dogma's Garden Spot, with information about germinating Cosmos seeds.  None of the three sites suggest any pre-treatment for the seeds.

Southwestern cosmos
Cosmos parviflorus