Thursday - September 20, 2012

From: Smithville, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Meadow Gardens, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Non-native, invasive rescue grass in meadow garden in Smithville TX

Despite numerous efforts, a solid field of cool weather rescue grass keeps desired wildflower and grass seeds from successfully growing on my "vacant" lot in town. I plan to I put out a 6 ml plastic sheeting now (Sept 18) and leave it until uncovered rescue grass is well established then remove the plastic and plant my seeds where the plastic was. This may not happen until late November. Any better ideas?

Well, we live and learn, we kept thinking there was a typo in your question and you were referring to fescue grass. Turns out the typo was in our brain. In fact, Mr. Smarty Plants (which is a team with some smarter people on it than this one) had already answered a question on rescue grass. This question even refers you to links on Meadow Gardens and Recreating a Prairie, as well as using solarization. The previous answer is, in fact, so thorough that we feel you will have all the information you need when you read it.