Tuesday - August 14, 2012

From: Spicewood, TX
Topic: Turf, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Grass mixture for Spicewood TX

I want to seed a bare sand limestone area about 2 acres in size. Assuming "normal" Texas hill country weather and the availability of moderate water for sprinkling is there one mixture that you recommend that would maintain a green feel most the year?

First we must ask you a question - is your ground in the sun? Habiturf, a newly developed grass mix from a team headed by the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, needs 5 to 6 hours of full sun a day. Please read Habiturf: The Ecological Lawn, first watching the video on how to plant the grass. Then, further down that same page are 3 links to other articles that will give you even more information. It needs to be watered and weeded when it is newly in the ground, but after that it will need to be watered very little, and will go dormant instead of dying in dry spells. It is a soft brown when it is dormant and looks far better than a dried-up dead "lawn." It also doesn't require a great deal of mowing, which should be important to you with 2 acres to take care of.