A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Spicewood, TX
Trophy tree for Spicewood, Texas
I want to plant a trophy Mesquite at the bottom of the hill, in Spicewood. I'm told that it may not flourish, because of the soil in my area. If that is the case, what would be a striking tree as a...

Spicewood, TX
Information about growing mountain laurels (Sophora secundiflora)
I live just outside of Austin on 10 acres. I have several very large mountain laurels on my property that I planted from containers. Mine flower profusely every year. I feed them bi-weekly and wate...

Spicewood, TX
Need plants for new wrought iron planter in Spicewood,TX.
I live in Spicewood, Texas, and have just purchased some really nice wrought iron window boxes for my patio railing. What would be the best and prettiest plants to use? Thank you

Spicewood, TX
Erosion control in Spicewood TX
I am from a small community along the Colorado River a few miles East of Marble Falls. We are looking for a ground cover/grass to prevent erosion on on our beach front. We had planned to use Bermuda G...

Spicewood, TX
Eliminating KR? Bluestem from St. Augustine Yard in Spicewood, TX
How can I eradicate bluestem grass invading my St. Augustine lawn?

Spicewood, TX
Failure to thrive of Cherokee sedge in Spicewood, TX
I have several Cherokee sedges, just planted in March. Three of them are doing fine, but the rest look like they're dying. Some are right next to one that is doing great. Any ideas?

Spicewood, TX
New thorn/bush tree in Central Texas
In Central Texas, over the last 5 years we have seen a new variety of thorn bush appear. It has very long thorns much like mesquite tree but thorns are every inch or so along the branches. The tree is...

Spicewood, TX
Transplanting non-native invasive chinaberry trees
I know most folk think Chinaberry trees are only for digging up, but I say that here in the Hill Country during a drought, they are the greenest and purtiest tree around. I have some tall fifteen foo...

Spicewood, TX
Grass mixture for Spicewood TX
I want to seed a bare sand limestone area about 2 acres in size. Assuming "normal" Texas hill country weather and the availability of moderate water for sprinkling is there one mixture that you reco...

Spicewood, TX
Unrecognized grass in Habiturf from Spicewood TX
I purchased 2 bags of Habiturf from the Wildflower Center and planted it in late September. Now, early February, the predominant grass is not any of the 3 supposed components of the Habiturf, but look...

Spicewood,, TX
Texas Mountain Laurel oozing sap in Spicewood, TX.
We have a Texas mountain laurel that seems to be sweating. Oozing sap with no apparent signs of any type of bore holes, or holes made from any birds.

Briarcliff, TX
Mexican sycamore for Briarcliff, TX
I would like to plant a sycamore in my yard. I have searched and do not see info on the Mexican sycamore on this website. Is this not recommended in Central Texas for planting? I cannot find the Am...

Briarcliff, TX
Plant for hummingbirds shelter in Briarcliff TX
I am looking to grow a container plant for the birds to enjoy on my back deck. A little greenery and possibly a place to rest for the birds would be great. This faces west and has no shade. There a...

Marble Falls, TX
Hardiness of Euphorbia milii from Marble Falls, TX
What is the hardiness of euphorbia mili, crown-of-thorns?

marble falls, TX
Mystery plants at Marble Falls
On the upper end of Lake Marble Falls is a 2-3 foot tall green stemed plant just blooming small white daisy like flowers. There are no leaves on the plant just stems and now flowers. Any idea where ...

Marble Falls, TX
Bird-attracting trees in Marble Falls TX
What fruiting trees/shrubs other than red mulberry are good to attract native birds (and for bird watching opportunities)? We'd prefer native species, but does white mulberry attract as many bird sp...

Marble Falls, TX
Flowers for Central Texas wedding in May
Hi there! I am getting married in Marble Falls, TX in May. My soon to be husband and I are very eco-conscious, and were wondering what type of flowers are local and in season for a Central Texas weddi...

Marble Falls, TX
Which seeds need to be scarified from Marble Falls TX
Can I find out which seeds need to be scarified?

Marble Falls, TX
Pruning of frost-damaged non-native Sago Palms in Marble Falls TX
I have several large Sago Palms that have partial frost damage, they are part green and part brown fronds. Should I remove the brown leaves? the center of the leaf is green.

Marble Falls, TX
Potted crown of thorns cactus cold tolerance in Marble Falls, TX
I have a large potted crown-of-thorns cactus. Can it remain outside this winter in the Texas Hill Country?

Marble Falls, TX
Waht are the truly native Texas trees
What two trees are truly native to Texas? I was told pecan and can't remember the other.