Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Saturday - August 04, 2012

From: Fort Worth, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Plant Identification
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

Hello Mr. Smarty Plants! I have a plant that was given to me and told it was spider plant, but I don't believe it is. The plat grows up and has leaves coming out like a spider plant but they are green and red-ish color at the bottom.

ANSWER:

First of all, our focus and expertise here at the Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America and the spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) is an African native.  Second of all, your description doesn't give us enough detail to identify your plant and we cannot accept attached photographs.   If you will visit our Plant Identification page, however, you will find links to several plant identification forums that will accept the photograph of your plant for identification.