En EspaÑol

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Fort Worth, TX
Plants for under non-native fruitless mullberry trees from Ft. Worth TX
I live in Tarrant county, where summer droughts are the norm. I have a 150x50 foot swathe of mature "fruitless mulberry" trees, which create a very shady atmosphere. The soil is clay dominated, ro...

Ft. Worth, TX
Controlling Straggler Daisy
Is there a barrier I can use that will keep Straggler Daisy under control so that I will not be a problem for my neighbors?

Fort Worth, TX
Plants for 100 gal. pot by pool from Ft. Worth TX
What North Texas evergreen — or combination of evergreen plants, bushes or trees — could thrive in a huge, 100-gallon clay pot (immovable!) that is situated in full sun year round in an exposed area n...

Fort Worth, TX
Edibility of Rumex hastatulus (heartwing sorrel)
My mother and aunt, who are in their 80s, tell stories of eating a plant, when they were girls in North Central Texas. They call the plant "sheep shire". My mother says that it is a flat weed, that...

Fort Worth, TX
How do you get rid of Mexican Petunia?
How do you get rid of Mexican Petunia?

Fort Worth, TX
Native shrubs or ground cover for north-facing landscape in Ft. Worth
Need native plant ideas for a landscaping bed against the house facing north. Already has 1 Beautyberry but two others died of root rot last year due to incredibly high water table in our area. Old ...

Ft. Worth, TX
Edibility of bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa) acorns
Is the acorn of the Bur Oak edible?

Fort Worth, TX
I had a strange plant pop up in my yard this year, and I figured maybe you guys could help me out. This plant is spreading along the ground, and the stem is woody right where it is coming out of th...

Fort Worth, TX
Shrubs for a barrier in Ft. Worth TX
Hello, I'm looking for a natural barrier as an alternative to a fence in my backyard. I see several other questions answered relating to this but I'm looking for something specifically as a nativ...

Fort Worth, TX
Response to previous answer from Ft. Worth TX
What email can I respond to Barbara Medford QUESTION:

Fort Worth, TX
Annual ryegrass and Habiturf from Austin
We've decided to put Habiturf in our freshly cleared back yard that was overgrown with sticky burs and crabgrass, but now that it is fall, would you recommend putting in a cover crop of annual ryegra...

Fort Worth, TX
Darkened leaves on blueberry bush
I have a blueberry bush planted in a very large pot. It has been doing very well, producing berries and new growth. All of a sudden the leaves have begun to turn dark. I have it potted in good soil...

Fort Worth, TX
Conflict between non-native and invasive St. Augustine and Bermuda grasses
Mr. Smarty Plants, My neighbor and I have nice front lawns but his is St. Augustine and mine is Bermuda. Between our houses the two lawns meet and it is a constant battle to keep his St. Augustine...

Fort Worth, TX
Identity of maroon flower taking over bluebonnets
there is a maroon colored flowering weed at my ranch in Oakwood Texas. It is taking over the bluebonnets and indian paint brushes. Can you tell me what it is and how to get rid of it.

Fort Worth, TX
Hackberry stripped by Cedar Waxwings or American Goldfinches
I live in Fort Worth. My one and only tree in the backyard is a 23 year old hackberry. While not infested with gall or weevils, we have been invaded this past few weeks by hordes of small, chubby, yel...

Fort Worth, TX
Tree resembling live oak, but with thorns
I'm trying to ID a tree in our backyard, most of our trees are Live Oaks and the tree in question has a dark almost black and gray bark that looks just like a Live Oak. The leaves are similar but lig...

Ft. Worth, TX
Plants for pool area in Fort Worth
We have a new pool in our backyard, and now also quite a bit of bare land to go with it. Looking for native grass suggestions and also shrubs/trees that I can plant around the pool area for privacy an...

Fort Worth, TX
Smog-eating plants from Ft. Worth TX
Looking for a list (40 >) of Native Texas Plants for Fort Worth Urban (Condo) that are Drought tolerant or (drip irr) and Fragrant and long blooming and eat up the city smog. Fort Worth is in a non-at...

Fort Worth, TX
Bluebonnets for wedding centerpieces in Ft. Worth
I am looking to purchase 25 live bluebonnet plants for my wedding centerpieces. I need them by May 15, 2009. Do you sell them?

Fort Worth, TX
Yellowing leaves on yaupon in Ft. Worth
I planted a Pride of Houston Yaupon Holly in January in full sun. It is blooming little white flowers right now for spring, but a lot of leaves are turning yellow. Do you know what is causing this? ...

Fort Worth, TX
Will non-native poisonous oleander grow through non-native invasive bermudagrass in Ft. Worth?
I was wondering if you knew which flowering plants would grow through grass. I have bermuda, have tried raised beds but due to uneven yard with lots of rock it would be too expensive to do properly. ...