A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Fort Worth, TX
Will a Venus flytrap bite?
Will a venus flytrap bite a person? Taylor

Fort Worth, TX
Xeriscaping in clay on a slope in Fort Worth
Xeriscaping in clay (Fort Worth) on a slope -- Please offer suggestions and publications. Thanks

Fort Worth, TX
Insects on yucca from Ft. Worth TX
I have a plant labeled Yucca Soft Leaf recurvifolia that I planted about 5 years ago,& was beautiful until last summer when it became infested with thousands of fast, tiny, dark insects. I sprayed wit...

Fort Worth, TX
Are flower petals poisonous?
Is it toxic to eat the petals on a flower? Ashley

Fort Worth, TX
Every plant in Texas
Do you know every plant in Texas? Alexis

Fort Worth, TX
Is it illegal in Texas to pick bluebonnets? No.
Is it illegal in Texas to pick a bluebonnet?

Fort Worth, TX
Is scarlet buckeye (Aesculus pavia) poisonous?
Is a scarlet buckeye poisonous? Anna

Fort Worth, TX
Identity of the mass fields of yellow flowers in North Texas
Are the mass fields of yellow flowers we are seeing in north Texas now likely to be Indian Mustard (brassica juncea) or Charlock (brassica kaber or sinapis arvensis)? We are teaching a wildflower ide...

Fort Worth, TX
Sources of Scutellaria drummondii
Dear Mr. Smarty Pants, I purchased a purple skullcap, scutellaria drummondii in the Hill Country last year. It has done REALLY well here in Fort Worth and would like more, but cannot locate it anywhe...

Fort Worth, TX
Picture of tree in Gilmer, TX cemetery
HELP . I am looking to find pictures of the beautiful tree before it was struck by lighting. The tree was in the Gilmer, Tx City View Cemetery ?

Fort Worth, TX
Need for smaller tree with less invasive roots from Ft. Worth TX
The sycamore in the front yard has developed roots larger than the branches. They have decided that the water and sewer lines are perfect to acquire their water from. For this reason it will be coming...

Fort Worth, TX
Where to find Yarrow for sale in the area of Ft. Worth TX?
I'm very fond of the native plant called "Yarrow." Where might I find this in the Fort Worth area, and what are the tips for growing it. Seems like I saw it in one of the gardens at the LBJ Wildf...

Ft. Worth, TX
Controlling Straggler Daisy
Is there a barrier I can use that will keep Straggler Daisy under control so that I will not be a problem for my neighbors?

Fort Worth, TX
A garlic plant with only one clove in Ft. Worth, TX?
Is there a garlic that does not have cloves? I have been using what appears to be garlic from my garden and it is garlicy, hot and delicious. I have spent many hours online but cannot find this garlic...

Fort worth, TX
Non-native Podocarpus macrophyllus in Ft Worth TX
I know this question does not pertain to a native plant but I've spent too much time not finding an answer to my question. I have many mature Podocarpus macrophyllus bushes at my house I purchased in...

Fort Worth, TX
Need source for garlic to plant in garden in Fort Worth, TX.
Where can I get or purchase a native Texas garlic to plant in my garden?

Fort Worth, TX
I had a strange plant pop up in my yard this year, and I figured maybe you guys could help me out. This plant is spreading along the ground, and the stem is woody right where it is coming out of th...

Fort Worth, TX
Plants for under non-native fruitless mullberry trees from Ft. Worth TX
I live in Tarrant county, where summer droughts are the norm. I have a 150x50 foot swathe of mature "fruitless mulberry" trees, which create a very shady atmosphere. The soil is clay dominated, ro...

Fort Worth, TX
Shrubs for a barrier in Ft. Worth TX
Hello, I'm looking for a natural barrier as an alternative to a fence in my backyard. I see several other questions answered relating to this but I'm looking for something specifically as a nativ...

Fort Worth, TX
Response to previous answer from Ft. Worth TX
What email can I respond to Barbara Medford QUESTION:

Fort Worth, TX
Annual ryegrass and Habiturf from Austin
We've decided to put Habiturf in our freshly cleared back yard that was overgrown with sticky burs and crabgrass, but now that it is fall, would you recommend putting in a cover crop of annual ryegra...