A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Fort Worth, TX
I had a strange plant pop up in my yard this year, and I figured maybe you guys could help me out. This plant is spreading along the ground, and the stem is woody right where it is coming out of th...

Fort Worth, TX
Mail order source for Guaiacum angustifolium from Ft. Worth TX
Do you have a mail order source for the seeds of Guaiacum angustifolium? I have looked extensively and cannot find one. Thank you!

Fort Worth, TX
Smog-eating plants from Ft. Worth TX
Looking for a list (40 >) of Native Texas Plants for Fort Worth Urban (Condo) that are Drought tolerant or (drip irr) and Fragrant and long blooming and eat up the city smog. Fort Worth is in a non-at...

Fort Worth, TX
Moving non-native globe willow in Ft. Worth TX
I planted a globe willow in a small area in front of my house and it is probably going to need more space. Can I replant it in a more open area without killing it? It is about 8-9 ft tall, 2-3 ft of ...

Fort Worth, TX
Sources of Scutellaria drummondii
Dear Mr. Smarty Pants, I purchased a purple skullcap, scutellaria drummondii in the Hill Country last year. It has done REALLY well here in Fort Worth and would like more, but cannot locate it anywhe...

Fort Worth, TX
Tall privacy hedge in Fort Worth, Texas
I need a fast growing plant that reaches a height of 14 to 16 feet suitable as a privacy hedge. Prefer minimal maintenance and disease resistant. I have a 3 story condo being built behind my home in...

Fort Worth, TX
Insects on yucca from Ft. Worth TX
I have a plant labeled Yucca Soft Leaf recurvifolia that I planted about 5 years ago,& was beautiful until last summer when it became infested with thousands of fast, tiny, dark insects. I sprayed wit...

Fort Worth, TX
Shrubs for a barrier in Ft. Worth TX
Hello, I'm looking for a natural barrier as an alternative to a fence in my backyard. I see several other questions answered relating to this but I'm looking for something specifically as a nativ...

Fort Worth, TX
Failure to bloom of coreopsis
Hi, 2 things..asked a question last yr re: scuttelaria (sp)-purple etc..you could not locate. Finally did at High Country Gardens in NM. Now a new question: Cannot get my coreopsis to bloom.. Have di...

Fort Worth, TX
Location of pine trees for a wedding site in Grapevine TX
Okay, I know this is a long shot. My daughter is getting married in Grapevine, October 18 at sunrise. She REALLY wants to have the ceremony near pine trees. Any suggestions for locations in Grapevine ...

Fort worth, TX
Non-native Podocarpus macrophyllus in Ft Worth TX
I know this question does not pertain to a native plant but I've spent too much time not finding an answer to my question. I have many mature Podocarpus macrophyllus bushes at my house I purchased in...

Fort Worth, TX
Every plant in Texas
Do you know every plant in Texas? Alexis

Fort Worth, TX
Are flower petals poisonous?
Is it toxic to eat the petals on a flower? Ashley

Fort Worth, TX
Picture of tree in Gilmer, TX cemetery
HELP . I am looking to find pictures of the beautiful tree before it was struck by lighting. The tree was in the Gilmer, Tx City View Cemetery ?

Fort Worth, TX
Seep Muhly in limited sunlight.
Can Seep Muhly withstand just 3 or 4 hours of direct sunlight in an urban setting?

Fort Worth, TX
Will a Venus flytrap bite?
Will a venus flytrap bite a person? Taylor

Fort Worth, TX
Why is Common Horehound missing from NPIN?
Hi there, I am not able to find Marrubium vulgare, i.e. Common or White Horehound, in the Native Plant Database. It grows abundantly on our ranch in Central Texas, and I am attempting to grow i...

Fort Worth, TX
Tree resembling live oak, but with thorns
I'm trying to ID a tree in our backyard, most of our trees are Live Oaks and the tree in question has a dark almost black and gray bark that looks just like a Live Oak. The leaves are similar but lig...

Fort Worth, TX
Identity of the mass fields of yellow flowers in North Texas
Are the mass fields of yellow flowers we are seeing in north Texas now likely to be Indian Mustard (brassica juncea) or Charlock (brassica kaber or sinapis arvensis)? We are teaching a wildflower ide...

Fort Worth, TX
Edibility of Rumex hastatulus (heartwing sorrel)
My mother and aunt, who are in their 80s, tell stories of eating a plant, when they were girls in North Central Texas. They call the plant "sheep shire". My mother says that it is a flat weed, that...

Ft. Worth, TX
Plants for pool area in Fort Worth
We have a new pool in our backyard, and now also quite a bit of bare land to go with it. Looking for native grass suggestions and also shrubs/trees that I can plant around the pool area for privacy an...