Mr. Smarty Plants - Nightblooming flower for Alberta, Canada

Saturday - July 28, 2012

From: Calgary, AB
Region: Canada
Title: Nightblooming flower for Alberta, Canada

QUESTION:

Are there any night flowers that bloom in august or early september with more than one flower bud for each plant that is native to Canada?

ANSWER:

The only native night-blooming species I could find for Alberta is Oenothera biennis (Common evening-primrose).  It is lemon-scented, night-blooming and blooms in July, August and September with large yellow flowers, several to a stalk.  Here is more information from Illinois Wildflowers and Missouri Plants.

Common evening-primrose
Oenothera biennis

Common evening-primrose
Oenothera biennis