Friday - July 13, 2012

From: Beaumont, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Plant Identification, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Differences between Lantana urticoides and Lantana camara

QUESTION:

I have found an orange variety of lantana growning in several location in Jefferson County. Is there any way I can tell for sure if it is L. camara or the native L. urticoides?

ANSWER:

Most sources state that Lantana urticoides (Texas lantana) flower color varies from yellow to orange while Lantana camara has creamy flowers that turn pink as they age, as described at this site.  That is the only difference between the two species that I can find reported.  It appears that there is much hybridization between the two species, with various resulting flower colors.  And I have seen different flower color variations of orange and creme in a pasture presumably containing only L. urticoides.  So there may not be a way to tell "for sure".  But I suspect yours is L. urticoides.

Texas lantana
Lantana urticoides