Sunday - July 01, 2012

From: Warwick, GA
Topic: Plant Lists
Title: Lilies with with wide lush foliage in Georgia

QUESTION:

I love lilies of all kinds, but I particularly like lilies with wide lush foliage. An example would be Agapanthus foliage. What other lilies present that same attribute?

ANSWER:

Agapanthus sp., a South African native, do have beautiful flowers as well as lush foliage.  You can find lilies that are native to Georgia that also have lush wide foliage by doing a search in our Native Plant Database.  Scroll down the list and choose "Liliaceae (Lily Family)" from the Family slot.  When the list of more than 200 species appears, use the NARROW YOUR SEARCH option to limit the species by choosing "Georgia" from the Select State or Province option.   Here are a few from that list that have broader lush foliage:

Clintonia umbellulata (White clintonia)

Clintonia borealis (Bluebead)

Convallaria majuscula (American lily of the valley)

Crinum americanum (Crinum lily)

Maianthemum canadense (Canada mayflower)

Maianthemum racemosum (Feathery false lily of the valley)

Polygonatum biflorum (Smooth solomon's seal)

Prosartes maculata (Nodding mandarin)

Uvularia grandiflora (Largeflower bellwort)

Uvularia perfoliata (Perfoliate bellwort)

Uvularia sessilifolia (Spreading bellwort)

You can also try the search above yourself to see more options. 

White clintonia
Clintonia umbellulata

Bluebead
Clintonia borealis

American lily of the valley
Convallaria majuscula

American crinum lily
Crinum americanum

Canada mayflower
Maianthemum canadense

Feathery false lily of the valley
Maianthemum racemosum

Smooth solomon's seal
Polygonatum biflorum

Yellow mandarin
Prosartes maculata

Largeflower bellwort
Uvularia grandiflora

Perfoliate bellwort
Uvularia perfoliata

Spreading bellwort
Uvularia sessilifolia