En EspaÑol

Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Keeping non-native invasive bermudagrass out of yard in Austin

QUESTION:

My neighbor just sodded a huge lawn with Bermuda Celebration. I don't want it coming into my St. Augustine. From what I've read on your site and others, I need a deep barrier. Has anyone tried putting 24" by 8 foot polycarbonate or fiberglass panels between the lawns? How hard is it to do that? More importantly, does it prevent Bermuda invasion?

ANSWER:

We understand your concern about the invasiveness of bermudagrass. A problem for us is that both both Cynodon dactylon (bermudagrass) and Stenotaphrum secundatum (St. Augustine) are non-native to North America and therefore not in our Native Plant Database nor our area of expertise. However, we are always concerned about invasive plants, as they can invade our own native plantings as well as other non-natives.

We can offer you some websites that might help you:

Integrated Pest Management Online - How to Manage Pests - Bermuda Grass

WalterReeves.com Fiberglass Barriers Actually, this is about bamboo, but it is also an invasive grass, so perhap it will help.

That is the extent of what we could find in research, and we have no personal experience to share with you.