Friday - March 30, 2012

From: Humble, TX
Topic: Plant Identification, Trees
Title: Wild native trees with orange blooms

What is the wild native tree that is blooming orange blooms - as you drive down the road thru Chappel Hill, and Brenham area. I've never seen these before when we went viewing bluebonnets - however, we were 3 weeks early this year. They are abundent - along the fence line, in the woods. Some are small - some are very tall and wide. Limbs are bare - just blooms.

There are many Acacia farnesiana (Huisache) in bloom across central and southern Texas.  They don't bloom in such abundance every year, but we are blessed with a spectacular display this year.  They do have leaves on the branches, but they are small and look insignificant next to the beautiful blooms.

Acacia farnesiana

Acacia farnesiana

Acacia farnesiana

Acacia farnesiana

Acacia farnesiana