Friday - March 30, 2012

From: Humble, TX
Topic: Plant Identification, Trees
Title: Wild native trees with orange blooms

QUESTION:

What is the wild native tree that is blooming orange blooms - as you drive down the road thru Chappel Hill, and Brenham area. I've never seen these before when we went viewing bluebonnets - however, we were 3 weeks early this year. They are abundent - along the fence line, in the woods. Some are small - some are very tall and wide. Limbs are bare - just blooms.

ANSWER:

There are many Acacia farnesiana (Huisache) in bloom across central and southern Texas.  They don't bloom in such abundance every year, but we are blessed with a spectacular display this year.  They do have leaves on the branches, but they are small and look insignificant next to the beautiful blooms.