Mr. Smarty Plants - Ornamental tree recommendation for California

Friday - June 15, 2007

From: Pleasanton, CA
Title: Ornamental tree recommendation for California

QUESTION:

We live in Pleasanton, California and wish to plant an ornamental tree in our front yard. The tree will receive full sun, and the climate can get quite hot in the summer. A Japanese Maple would be the perfect type of tree for the location, from a height, color and texture standpoint, but such a tree cannot take the hot summer sun. Do you have any suggestions?

ANSWER:

Experience has taught us that it is not possible to adequately design a garden or make specific plant recommendations sight unseen. The light, soil, water, and design considerations for each garden site are simply too complex. But we may still be able to help. The Native Plant Database features a search function designed to help with just your kind of project. In the "Combination Search" section of that webpage, select from the menu choices that are appropriate for your requirements.