Saturday - February 04, 2012

Topic: Planting, Drought Tolerant, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Can Habiturf be planted by hydroseeding from Austin?

We are thinking about seeding our lawn with HABITURF. Could you provide any input on whether HABITURF can be planted by hydroseeding? Thanks!

First, please read our How-To Article Native Lawns: Habiturf-the Ecological Lawn. From that article, we extracted this paragraph:

Sow the seed —the small, hand-cranked seed broadcasters are great— and rake and press with a garden roller or your feet. Seeds need good soil contact. Early spring is the best sowing time once soil temperatures warm up. Later in the growing season will work but will require more water. Avoid mid-summer and winter."

We're not going to say that means it can't be hydroseeded but it does mean that we have no research results on that process with Habiturf. Because we were not personally familiar with the hydroseeding methods, we did some research to which we can refer you.

From the website All About Lawns Planting by Hydroseeding. There were several other articles, but they generally said about the same thing. Unless you are planting new lawns on a university campus, we think that the recommended method from our grass experts will be less expensive and more effective.