Saturday - July 09, 2011

From: Fredericton, NB
Region: Canada
Title: Identification of a low raspberry-like plant in New Brunswick

QUESTION:

I am searching for a plant I found last year while walking in the woods in early summer. It was a low plant, much like a raspberry, but not on thorny growth and close to the ground. Seems to be on new growth. It's a red raspberry-like berry with a mild flavour, raspberry-like as well..but it's not a raspberry. Any help would be appreciated!

ANSWER:

This sounds like one of the low-growing species of the Genus Rubus (raspberries, blackberries, dewberries, etc).  Here are three candidates without prickles that grow in New Brunswick or in an adjacent province or state:

If this doesn't seem to be the plant you saw and you have a photo of it, you can find links on our Plant Identification page to plant identification forums that will accept photos for identification.

Dwarf red blackberry
Rubus pubescens