Saturday - July 09, 2011

From: Fredericton, NB
Region: Canada
Title: Identification of a low raspberry-like plant in New Brunswick

QUESTION:

I am searching for a plant I found last year while walking in the woods in early summer. It was a low plant, much like a raspberry, but not on thorny growth and close to the ground. Seems to be on new growth. It's a red raspberry-like berry with a mild flavour, raspberry-like as well..but it's not a raspberry. Any help would be appreciated!

ANSWER:

This sounds like one of the low-growing species of the Genus Rubus (raspberries, blackberries, dewberries, etc).  Here are three candidates without prickles that grow in New Brunswick or in an adjacent province or state:

If this doesn't seem to be the plant you saw and you have a photo of it, you can find links on our Plant Identification page to plant identification forums that will accept photos for identification.

Cloudberry
Rubus chamaemorus

Dwarf red blackberry
Rubus pubescens

Dwarf raspberry
Rubus arcticus ssp. acaulis