En EspaÑol

Thursday - November 12, 2009

From: Andover, MA
Title: Plant identification in Andover MA

QUESTION:

I live in MA. I have found a tree that produces an avocado like fruit with a round grooved pit. There are several of these trees in the fields where I walk and the ground is littered with these fruits. Can you tell me what they are? Unfortunately there is no foliage left on the trees to help with the id.

ANSWER:

Nothing springs to mind that might have that description. It is possible it is a non-native tree, perhaps planted in an orchard. Please go to our page for Plant Identification and follow the instructions to send us pictures of the fruit, seed, perhaps the tree itself and the bark, and we will try to figure out what it is. You might also contact the University of Massachussetts Extension Office for Essex County to see if someone there recognizes the tree.