Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Saturday - June 25, 2011

From: Charlotte, NC
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I see a previous question from Ohio on this plant, so I will copy the description and try to submit photos. "A year later a weed-like plant started growing beside it. It has very thorny leaves, stems and stalk. Little purple flowers are growing from it. On some of the stems/branches there are three small watermelon looking pods growing. What could this be. The thorns are extremely strong and you can not pull it without some gloves. The stalk, stems, and leaves are all a solid light green. The pods look very much like "mini" watermelons. The flowers are a light purple with long petals that have not opened up yet - almost tear drop formed. What is this?

ANSWER:

This, I believe, is Solanum carolinense (Carolina horse-nettle).  Here are more photos and information.  Although it is a native plant, it is considered invasive in some areas.  The blossoms can be dark purple through shades of lavender to almost white.

If this isn't your plant, please visit our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant identification forums that allow photo uploads.  Our Mr. Smarty Plants page does not support the attachment of photos by questioners.

Carolina horse-nettle
Solanum carolinense

Carolina horse-nettle
Solanum carolinense

Carolina horse-nettle
Solanum carolinense