En EspaÑol

Thursday - February 03, 2011

From: Richfield, MN
Title: Houseplant identification.

QUESTION:

Please help me identify a houseplant that flowers a yellow flower at the base of plant. Its leaves are narrow, pointed and green on the topside and burgundy with small hairs on the underside of the leaves.

ANSWER:

We love helping people identify their native plants when we can, but it's difficult at best to identify most plant by a written description.  Since very few houseplants are North American natives, your mystery plant is almost certainly outside our area of study and expertise anyway.

However, we may be able to help point you in the right direction to find an name for you plant.  Please see our Plant Identification page for some resources that will probably be useful to you.  The first website listed there, the UBC Botanical Gardens Forums is especially helpful in identifying houseplants.