Mr. Smarty Plants - Locating Rubus trivialis (Dewberry) In Houston

From: Houston, TX
Title: Locating Rubus trivialis (Dewberry) In Houston
Answered by: Dean Garrett

QUESTION:

Where can I purchase dewberry (Rubus trivialis) seeds &/or plants? I live in the Houston, Texas, area, and the area has grown so much that I can no longer locate dewberry plants. I would like to plant some in my yard. Many thanks for your time.

ANSWER:

I thought the same thing about my mother's neighborhood in Dallas. Then I found some growing in the middle of a solid St. Augustine lawn lining a concrete drainage ditch right behind her house! Keep looking and it may turn up where you least expect it.

For commercially available dewberry, consult our National Suppliers Directory and the Houston Native Plant Society's list of native plant retailers.