Monday - February 09, 2009

From: Henderson, NV
Title: Where can I find Opuntia santa-rita?

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Plants - I'm trying to locate a type of opuntia violacea-santa rita. (Purple prickly pear) Instead of the normal pads, this cactus has rippled pads that almost look like a type of coral. It's stunning! Do you know the name and perhaps where I could buy one in the Las Vegas area? Thanks

ANSWER:

The Purple Prickly Pear Opuntia santa-rita (Santa Rita pricklypear) has several synonyms including: Opuntia gosseliniana var. santa-rita, Opuntia chlorotica var. santa-rita, Opuntia violacea var. santa-rita.

I went to our web page and cilcked on "Suppliers" and this brought up our National Suppliers Directory. I typed in Las Vegas, NV in the appropriate box and got a list of businesses in the vicinity that sell native plants or seeds and provide professional landscape or consulting services. Blue Diamond Nursery on the list sells Purple Prickly Pear. You can also find the plant on the web at the Cactus Store, and Dave's Garden.