Thursday - January 27, 2005

From: The Netherlands, Other
Region: Other
Topic: Non-Natives, Seed and Plant Sources
Title: Smarty Plants on Kokias

QUESTION:

I am searching for seeds of different Kokias (Kokia cookei, K. drynariodes and K. kauaiensis) and Thespesias (Thespesia grandiflora, T. thespesioides, T. nerifolia and T. populnea). Perhaps there are other Kokias and Thespesias. Can you help me, please? Perhaps you know other people or botanical gardens who can help me. I am living in Holland and have a greenhouse.

ANSWER:

One of the species of Thespesia (T. grandiflora, common name "maga") is native to Hawaii and one (T. populnea, Portia tree) grows in Florida and Hawaii, but is not native. Its origin is India. T. thespesiodes or T. nerifolia are not native to the U. S. The three Kokias, treecottons, (Kokia cookei, K. drynariodes and K. kauaiensis) as well as K. lanceolata are all natives of Hawaii. K. drynariodes is considered endangered in Hawaii and K. cookei is even rarer so it may be difficult to find seeds of these. K. kauaiensis is also listed as endangered but in somewhat better shape than the other two. K. lanceolata became extinct in the late 1800s or 1900s.

Since all these species are native or grow in Hawaii, you might have success in locating seeds by contacting arboreta such as Lyon Arboretum at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and botanical gardens in Hawaii.