Mr. Smarty Plants - Smarty Plants on Hesperaloe parviflora

Monday - July 11, 2005

From: Scurry, TX
Title: Smarty Plants on Hesperaloe parviflora

QUESTION:

I see these bright pink orange flowers on tall bracts everyday on the way to work. I have been searching for the name so I can buy one. I found a picture on your site at (http://www.wildflower.org/?nd=experience) {Display Gardens picture} which looks exactly like the flowers I see growing in the middle of HWY 75 in Richardson, Texas. The leaves look similar to a yucca but grow differently. They grow seed pods that are similar in shape to a walnut, inside there are dozens of black seeds. Please help me identify this plant.

ANSWER:

This is Red yucca, (Hesperaloe parviflora). Be sure to select "Search Images" from the menu at the top of that page to see more photos.