Monday - July 11, 2005

From: Scurry, TX
Title: Smarty Plants on Hesperaloe parviflora

I see these bright pink orange flowers on tall bracts everyday on the way to work. I have been searching for the name so I can buy one. I found a picture on your site at (http://www.wildflower.org/?nd=experience) {Display Gardens picture} which looks exactly like the flowers I see growing in the middle of HWY 75 in Richardson, Texas. The leaves look similar to a yucca but grow differently. They grow seed pods that are similar in shape to a walnut, inside there are dozens of black seeds. Please help me identify this plant.

This is Red yucca, (Hesperaloe parviflora). Be sure to select "Search Images" from the menu at the top of that page to see more photos.