Mr. Smarty Plants - Is December a good time to prune oaks in Central Texas?

Wednesday - December 29, 2010

From: Wimberley, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Pruning, Trees
Title: Is December a good time to prune oaks in Central Texas?

QUESTION:

Given that we haven't had much cold weather here in central Texas (Wimberley) this season, is it a good time to trim live and Spanish oak trees (damaged limbs and low hanging branches and suckers)? Into 30's at night some days but also into 70's during the day. So is the nitidulid bug active right now here?

ANSWER:

The Texas Forest Service has two articles, Guidelines for Proper Pruning to Prevent Oak Wilt Infection by Kim Camilli and Only You Can Prevent Oak Wilt by Robert Edmonson, that advise not pruning from February through June when the Nitidulid beetles are most active.  So, now, while the weather is reasonably cold, is the perfect time to prune.  Both articles recommend painting the wounds caused by the trimming as soon as the cuts are made no matter what time of year the pruning is done.