Thursday - June 04, 2009

From: Roma, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: Yellowing of St. Augustine grass in south Texas

We live in deep south Texas, Roma, Texas to be precise and we have a problem with our San Augustine grass. In the spring its quite nice and green after a few weeks and one rain it is turning yellow.

Mr. Smarty Plants realizes that you live a ways from Austin, but he suggests that you read the City of Austin's Grow Green Earth-Wise Guide to Lawn Problems.  It is an excellent source for detailed descriptions, diagnoses, and treatments of ailing lawn grasses like Stenotaphrum secundatum (St. Augustine grass).  It discusses symptoms and treatment of fungal diseases such as brown patch or take-all patch as well as insect pests such as chinch bugs or grubs.