Tuesday - August 03, 2010

From: Abington, MA
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Perennial for cemetery plot in Massachusetts

QUESTION:

What perennial would work well in a cemetery plot that has very dry sun?

ANSWER:

First, you should check with the authorities that own or manage the cemetery to be sure what, if anything, you can plant.  Then, if they do allow plants, it would be a good idea to read this page and see what can happen with plants that flourish and obscure the gravestone and spread to other graves. Now, after you've checked out these sources, here are a few suggestions for native plants for your gravesite in the sun in Massachusetts:

Herbaceous perennials

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed)

Coreopsis lanceolata (lanceleaf tickseed)

Lupinus perennis (sundial lupine)

Monarda fistulosa (wild bergamot)

Phlox subulata (moss phlox)

Rudbeckia hirta (blackeyed Susan)

Small Shrubs

Ceanothus herbaceus (Jersey tea)

Dasiphora fruticosa ssp. floribunda (shrubby cinquefoil)

Here are photos from our Image Gallery: