Friday - July 23, 2010

Title: Vines for Austin, Texas

QUESTION:

I have heavy clay soil that is very wet during rainy season. I would like to plant climbing, blooming native. Crossvine and trumpet creeper are doing well but need another vine for an area that gets full morning sun and late afternoon shade. Thanks much.

ANSWER:

There are two evergreen vines with beautiful flowers that should do well in sun or part shade with your Bignonia capreolata (crossvine) and Campsis radicans (trumpet creeper).  They are Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle) and Gelsemium sempervirens (evening trumpetflower).   There are also several Clematis vines that grow in Travis County—Clematis drummondii (Drummond's clematis), Clematis pitcheri (bluebill) and Clematis texensis (scarlet leather flower)—that would also do well in sun or part shade.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery: