Wednesday - June 09, 2010

From: Dallas, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives
Title: Prairie remnant threatened by non-native Queen Anne's lace in Dallas

A blackland prairie remnant is being invaded by Queen Ann's Lace. What are the best, least chemical, methods of getting rid of it without damaging the native grasses and wildflowers? Thank you!

This USDA Plant Profile shows Daucus carota, Queen Anne's Lace, growing in the Dallas area, as well as in Travis County, where we are. This map is probably out of date, and the plant has no doubt spread much further in Texas.  Another common name for it is "wild carrot," and it is closely related to Bugs Bunny's favorite snack. Not many people seem to be too upset by its presence, finding it pretty and easily grown. However, it is obviously an invasive, and is native to temperate areas of Europe and southwestern Asia. We found an Oregon State University Extension website Wild Carrot, which recognizes the invasiveness of it and recommends some control measures.

Pictures from Google