Friday - August 03, 2012

From: Fredericksburg, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Vines
Title: Invasive trumpet vine from Fredericksburg TX

QUESTION:

I have a large trumpet vine growing on a dead tree stump. My problem is that new baby trumpet vines are coming up all over my yard. I mow them, but is there anything I can use to prevent new trumpet vines from sprouting up in my grass?

ANSWER:

A mantra often chanted by Mr. Smarty Plants is: "The best way to control invasive plants is to never plant them."

We are assuming you are referring to Campsis radicans (Trumpet creeper). Please follow this link to our webpage and read all of it to find out why, although it is beautiful and attracts hummingbirds, we do not recommend it. Possibly what you have is Bignonia capreolata (Crossvine), which is a related vine that is not quite so pushy. Neither is native to Gillespie County, but that has never stopped them yet.

Since this is by no means a new question for us, please read this previous question, which has some more informative links, from Austin TX.

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans