Mr. Smarty Plants - Need suggestions for a vine to grow on a fence in Crossville, TN

Wednesday - April 28, 2010

From: Crossville, TN
Title: Need suggestions for a vine to grow on a fence in Crossville, TN

QUESTION:

I would like your suggestions on a vine to grow on a fence in part shade that would look good in winter as well as summer, if possible, for a site in Crossville, TN.

ANSWER:

Vines and fences sort of go together, and Mr. Smarty Plants has come up with a list of vines that grow in your area. Three of these are evergreen, and four of these are deciduous, although Cocculus is described as tardily deciduous ie. it holds onto its leaves a little longer in the fall.

Evergreen vines

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle)

Bignonia capreolata (crossvine)

Gelsemium sempervirens (evening trumpetflower)

Deciduous vines

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper)

Decumaria barbara (woodvamp)

Cocculus carolinus (Carolina coralbead)

Clematis virginiana (devil's darning needles)

Lonicera sempervirens

Bignonia capreolata

Gelsemium sempervirens

Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Decumaria barbara

Cocculus carolinus

Clematis virginiana